Re: Setting a base href in xsl:include

<received from="Chas Mick" date="17 Sep 2001" time="09:52">

<response>

G'day Chas,

I have a similar scenario which I solved by means of a (Unix) hack:

  1.  The XSLT templates generate URLs of the form
      ****WEBSERVER****/common/directory/path

  2.  In each source directory, I have a dummy "web" subdirectory, that
      contains pages for shipping to the ultimate server.

  3.  My makefile has entries of the form for each server destination:

server: all
	@if [ ! -d web ] ; then mkdir web ; fi
	for f in $(FILES) ; do \
	  sed -e 's#****WEBSERVER****#http://server/base#g' <$$f >web/$$f ; \
	done
	rsync -a web/ $(SERVERPAGE)/

      where $(FILES) define the pages you want shipped to the server;
      and $(SERVERPAGE) defines a (possibly remote) server directory.

Nothing to do with XSLT (apart from step 1), but it works fine.

</response>

  Hello,

  I'm trying to avoid the use of a fully qualified
  URL in the xsl:include statement for portability
  reasons.  Also, the deployment of my XSLT maps is
  different from the site of my executing program,
  so I can't use relative URLS.  I'm using Xalan
  1.3.

  For example,
  <xsl:include href="common.xsl" /> won't work for
  me because it is not in context with the executing
  program (Java).  My ideal solution is to pass the
  base href in an XSL parameter and say:
  <xsl:include href="concat($baseUrl, 'common.xsl')
  />....but the processor does not seem to
  dereference or resolve any parameters within the
  include statement.  That is, it seems to look for
  the literal file named 'concat($baseUrl,
  'common.xsl')'.  Is there another way to do this.

  Also, within the Xalan API, I do not see any way
  to set a base href within the Source interface,
  which is how one needs to feed a stylesheet into
  the tranformation process.

  Has anybody thought of any work-arounds to this
  issue?

  Thank you,
  Charles Mick

</received>

cheers,
--John Hurst
--  Associate Dean (Teaching), Faculty of Information Technology
--  Associate Professor, School of Computer Science and Software Engineering
--rm G23, Building 63
--PO Box 26, Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3168            ~ ~~~&#:
--ajh@csse.monash.edu.au  +61 3 990 55192        _..___  ---____@___H__
--(mob 0407 569 041) (fax +61 3 990 55146)       |_____[_|_________[__]_
--http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~ajh              oo oo  oo O--O--O o=o
--free times, see http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~ajh/cgi-bin/appointments.cgi