From: Dimitre Novatchev [mailto:dnovatchev@yahoo.com]
Sent: 17 September 2001 11:52
To: Robert.Stuart@NFER-NELSON.co.uk
Cc: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: How can I see what html attributes IE thinks it is using?

> I am using the same xml and xsl files in both XML-Spy and in IE to
> generate html - but my results look different in the two environments.
>
> Spy is giving me the results I expect.  IE is not.
>
> I have seen similar results where spurious characters have appeared in
> generated files - and suspect a similar cause.
>

> Spy loads the files directly, IE is loading the xml and xsl through a file
> - index.xhtml (source below):
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE page [
> <!ENTITY main SYSTEM "xml_file.xml">
> <!ELEMENT page ANY>
> <!ATTLIST page id ID #REQUIRED>
> ]>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" title="MainStylesheet"
> href="xsl_file.xslt" alternate="no" media="screen"?>
> <page title="XML Main" id="page">
> 	<pagemain>
> 	&main;
> 	</pagemain>
> </page>

Just comment out the "<?xml-stylesheet ... ?>" PI, save and then
double-click on the
file in Windows Explorer -- then IE will display the xml source.

It is a better practice not to rely on IE for performing the transformation,
but
better use an XSLT IDE (e.g. the Xselerator, which supports not only MSXML3,
but
also Saxon and other XSLT processors).

Hope this helped.

Cheers,