Re: catching the last node still satisfying a condition

> If we agree the final result is an ordered (meaning indexed access, as in an
> array) set (meaning no duplicate) of nodes. Right ?

No. The result of an XPath select is always unordered (hence set). All
these sets are subsets of an ordered set of nodes, but individual
selections do not have an order. So for example
in
ancestor::[2]
2 selects the second ancestor in reverse order but
<xsl:variable name="a" select="ancestor::*"/>
$a is just the unoordered set of nodes: it doesn'r "remember" that it
was collected in any particular order.

David