Column Ordering Design Question

Hi,
I have a question about the proper way to implement the following:

1)allow customers to select the columns that they want to see.
2)Select the order of columns.

My question is how do we control the users pref for column numbers and
ordering. The columns get language specific headers from the presentation
server (added to the original XSL in an XSL > XSL tarnsform) while the
column data comes from the data server.
What we thought of doing is use JSP tags in the XSL (all XSL "components"
for a page are included in a JSP page) to control the ordering of XSL. This
leads to messy code and a mix of XSL presentation layer in JSP tags. (the
requirement for tags exists regardless to allow us to selectively "cut out"
parts of the XSL based on the users entitlement). These XML format tags are
inserted into the original XSL What we thought of was storing all column
headers as XSL variables in the first transform and at request time pass an
XSL param to the transformer with the number of columns and their order
(probably a comma separated string) and to somehow use this to layout our
columns.
Is this the way to go?
Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this, or better yet does
anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Lou