RE: XSLT browser support

Pranav wrote:
>            I've one more question. It's now clear that XSLT is only
> supported by New Version of browser or U have to do some extra effort
like
> Update MSXML 3.0 DLL in replace mode. My question is ...
>          Should we use XSLT or XSL with XML for presentation?

The scenario I've always had in mind is a combination of server-side and
client-side transforms.  On the server, you detect the incoming browser.
If the browser supports XSLT (IE 6.0 will install MSXML 3.0 in replace
mode), then farm out the transform to the client.  This reduces load on
the server.  If the browser doesn't support XSLT, perform the
transformation on the server and send the resulting HTML to the client.
This supports old pre-XSLT browsers.  As more clients use IE 6.0 (with
Windows XP it will become more and more common), the load on your
servers will decrease.

If you are really ambitious, you could write your stylesheets in both
XSLT and Microsoft XSL.  If you detect the client as IE 5.0 or IE 5.5,
you could send the MS XSL version to the client.  This would immediately
reduce server load, as many current clients will be one of these two
browsers.  If this is too much of a maintenance headache, I recommend
going with XSLT.  It's standard, there are more books and better
documentation for it, it has more features, and more and more clients
will support it going forward.

~Andy Kimball
MSXSL Dev