Re: XPath 2.0: Conditional Expression (Was Re: XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Functions and Operators Version 1.0)

Jeni,

Thanks for this note, as well.  I'm responding to the 2 notes separately
because the subject matter and the response are both significantly different.

At 05:46 PM 9/7/2001 +0100 Friday, Jeni Tennison wrote:
>Another XPath 2.0 requirement that doesn't seem to be present in the
>F&O WD is 2.2 "Must Provide a Conditional Expression". I imagined that
>conditional expressions would be supported with an operator, something
>like:
>
>   boolean-expression ? true-expression : false-expression
>
>Is this functionality going to appear in a different document?

The XQuery 1.0 (surface syntax) working draft has an expression that I
think is isomorphic to the example you cited.  The syntax is different, but
it is an *expression* that returns a value.  In the June 7, 2001 draft, it
appears in section 2.6, "Conditional Expressions".  You can find the most
recent version of this document at: http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery  (I know
that you know how to find it, but there may be other readers who do not).

There is on-going discussion about the best way to partition operators,
functions, etc. between various documents.  The two ends of the spectrum
are (a)Put ever conceivable operator, function, etc. into the F&O document,
versus (b)Merge the F&O document with one or more other documents (e.g.,
XQuery, Formal Semantics, etc.; perhaps merging one or more of those
documents together as well).  It's too soon to guess how those discussions
will end, but I will comment here that I am extremely sensitive to the
issue of inter-document complexities!

Hope this helps,
    Jim
Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:jim.melton@oracle.com
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063           Personal email: mailto:jim.melton@acm.org
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345