Odd behaviour with Saxon > 6.xx : processing became slower and slower

Hi all,

  I'm running into troubles with Saxon version number superior to 6.x .
Let me explain what's wrong :
we are running a "server" that is listening on a socket. The server is
written in Java. This server is doing XSLT transformations, DTD validation
(using Xerces java) and  Xpath expression matching. The process is simple
: when a client connects, the server spawn a new thread to process the
request. Then the result is send back to the socket, and the tread is
terminated.

  The problem is the following: the processing time is increasing with the
number of actions doned before. This is not depending on the load average
of the java server, this is really the total number of processed requests
that slows down the server side. A query that took 2 seconds to complete
at the begining of the bench, can take up to 30 seconds after several
repeats.

  I've done several tests, and my conclusions are the following:

   - DTD validations are clean, and have no impact
   - XSLT transformations have a lightweight impact
   - Xpath queries have the most important impact

 The problem does not appear with older versions of saxon, which in that
case was 5.x

For information, here is the configuration of the server :

Linux 2.4.6 SMP on a bi-pentium

java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1-b24)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1-b24, mixed mode)

The starting command for the JVM :

/usr/local/jdk/bin/java -server -native -Xms128m -Xmx512m -classpath
/data/xsltservertest/classes/saxon.jar:/data/xsltservertest/classes/xerces.jar:/data/xsltservertest/classes/
XsltServer

I would really appreciate any pointers, tips, or suggestions of
testing/profiling.

Olivier Bourgeois