Re: FOO vs FO

Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> wrote:
> My own folk etymology cortical implant tells me that "Foobar" is an
> adaptation of "FUBAR", a military acronym (originally ca. WWII) that stands
> for "f****d up beyond all recognition". As in "Situation normal -- foobar".
What i read from various sources was "... beyond (all|any) repair".

As for the alternatives proposed:
XXX: Wouldn't get past some filters, you know. And, after all, virtually
every source and many documentations i've seen was cluttered with this
anyway.
ABC: I believe American Broadcasting Corp. would take legal action if
this would be abused too much. And certainly nobody would like to
sprinkle lots of (R) or (TM) into their files unnecessarily.

Other generic strings often seen in XSLT files (to get on charter) and
program sources in general (to drift off again):
FIXME
three dollar signs in a row (alias to circumvent the list's spam filter)
xyzzy

Furthermore, "ACME" seems to be a generic placeholder for enterprise
names, though this is more often used in documentation than source
code.

The Jargon File mentions quz, qaz and qoz as placeholders (IIRC) but
i've never seen them used extensively.

Some GNU sources use "mumble" if foo, bar and baz has already been
used up.

> I think we are asymptotically approaching some kind of "knowledge" on this
> important question.

Just added my 20 milliEuro.

J.Pietschmann