Re: Trying to find a working XSLT processor

G. Ken Holman wrote at  6 Sep 2001 13:11:26 -0400:
 > You don't mention which XML processor you are using, but the error message
 > refers to a "marked section in the internal DTD subset" when, in fact, I
 > have the marked section in an external DTD subset.  The processor is either
 > giving bogus error messages, or whoever implemented it doesn't know the
 > terminology.

Your conditional marked section is in an external parameter entity,
not an external DTD subset.  In XML terms, there is only one external
subset (which is optional).

Concerning conditional sections, Section 2.8, Prolog and Document Type
Declation, of the XML 1.0 Recommendation, 2nd Ed., states:

   Like the internal subset, the external subset and any external
   parameter entities referenced in a DeclSep must consist of a series
   of complete markup declarations of the types allowed by the
   non-terminal symbol markupdecl, interspersed with white space or
   parameter-entity references. However, portions of the contents of
   the external subset or of these external parameter entities may
   conditionally be ignored by using the conditional section
   construct; this is not allowed in the internal subset.

The other trap for XML Processor writers is Ken's parameter-entity
reference within an entity declaration within his external parameter
entity.  However, Section 2.8 also states:

   The external subset and external parameter entities also differ
   from the internal subset in that in them, parameter-entity
   references are permitted within markup declarations, not only
   between markup declarations.

Regards,

Tony Graham