Re: Trying to find a working XSLT processor

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, G. Ken Holman wrote:

> p.s. and "no, I cannot change my XML" as I believe this is properly
> constructed XML and I use dozens of configuration parameters in this
> fashion in my slide show document model ... it is just that none of the
> other processors I've tried support it

XT is _OLD_. And has a number of known non-compliances. Your belief about
your XML being properly constructed is incorrect.

bash> xmlparse test.xml
warning (745): duplicate parameter entity declaration (will be discarded
if used), /home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.ent, line 1: test-include
error (861): illegal marked section in internal DTD subset,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 7: <![INCLUDE[
error (842): entity definition in internal DTD subset contains a parameter
entity reference, /home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 7: <test
attr="%test;"/>
warning (750): discarding duplicate parameter entity declaration,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 7: test-include
warning (751): incompatible parameter entity redeclaration,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 7: test-include
warning (750): discarding duplicate parameter entity declaration,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 7: test
warning (751): incompatible parameter entity redeclaration,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 7: test
error (1102): tag uses GI for an undeclared element,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 9: test
error (1102): tag uses GI for an undeclared element,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 9: test
error (1203): attribute can't be checked because element is not defined,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 9: test
error (1150): enclosing tag undefined or lacks content model; can't check
child, /home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 9: test
error (1103): end tag uses GI for an undeclared element,
/home/users/s/snowhare/test/xml/test.xml, line 9: test
xmlparse warning 4: there were errors

This has nothing to do with the XSLT processor (the above 'xmlparse' is
nothing but a fully validating XML parser with good error reporting). Your
XML is simply invalid and will have to be changed if you wish to use
something other than XT to process it. Even XT would barf on it if you
changed the XML parser it used to something other than the default built
in of XP.

--
Benjamin Franz

  Programs must be written for people to read, and only
  incidentally for machines to execute.
                             ---Abelson and Sussman