FOO vs FO

Does anyone know why FOO was chosen to mean anything?

>From the W3 site, in a message at
"http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/msg00613.html";, someone asked
"What does foo.bar mean in CSS?". The response was:

	Ah, a puzzle!

	1. The literal answer is probably not the answer the author is
looking for.

	2. `foo' and `bar' are commonly used as placeholders for arbitrary
character strings.

In XML Bible by E. Harold, page 52, the author says that FOO means "whatever
you want it to". Further down, on page 517, we find that for formatting
objects, the defacto standard prefix is "FO".

Why was FOO and FO chosen instead of something less confusing? I can
understand FO for formatting objects, but why FOO? Why not XXX or ABC??