RE: Re: _why_ do people use xsl:element and xsl:attribute so much

> >Funny you should mention... We at Mulberry just revised our
> >introductory XSLT course, yet again, and decided that in a
> >2-day course there was no time for
> >        xsl:element, xsl:attribute, etc.
>
> Just to note that Tibco Extensibility's XML Transform editor
> for XSL-T always uses xsl:element & xsl:attribute, and
> converts stylesheets into this form when it loads them.

Our XML Transform product does indeed work internally with "normalized"
stylesheets, though it will save to either format depending on a preference
setting.  We use the term "normalized" for the state of having all foreign
elements converted to xsl:element, etc.  If there's a better term, we'd be
glad to use it.

We use normalized versions of the stylesheets within XML Transform for the
following reasons:

- We can use a simpler schema with no wildcards or mixed text.
- We can perform strict validation on the stylesheet
- Having instructions (xsl:element) makes sense for debugging (breakpoints
and stepping).
- It's easier to programmatically analyze the stylesheet when it only
contains xsl elements.

None of these reasons is huge, but they do show some value for the
"normalized" form.

Xan Gregg
TIBCO Extensibility http://www.extensibility.com