RE: FW: ] Top Ten Java and XSLT Tips, #5

> > In fact there are so many bugs in IE6 I am surprised it was
> released.
>
> The most depressing thing about IE6 is that while they have
> half heartedly added XSLT support, it does not (unlike
> IE5.5+MSXML3/replace mode, which was really quite a nice XML
> browser) have any real support for parsing XML files.
>
> If you give an XML file to IE6 it does _not_ use MSXML3 to
> parse it even though MSXML3 is bundled with the system.

As far as my testing goes it does. In fact the nice thing about the
stylesheet support is that it honours the alternate pseudo attribute on
the stylesheet pi
So you can do

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" title="Old MsXsl Stylesheet"
href="style.xsl" alternate="yes" media="screen"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" title="XSLT Version" href="style.xslt"
alternate="no" media="EXPLORER 6"?>

and this will work in both IE5 and IE6 because IE5 just uses the first
stylesheet pi it comes across whereas IE6 will use the second.

> In particular it does not accept any characters (or character
> references) above 2^16. Which means for example that no valid
> MathML files (or XHTML+MathML files) may be browsed using
> IE6. IE5.5/MSXML3 accepts them but IE6 reports a fatal error
> on the DTD as it uses character references to the math
> characters added in Unicode 3.1. This was an intentional "bug
> compatibility with IE4" decision as confirmed by Microsft on
> their msxml newsgroup...

I guess it is a very old version of msxml2 v2.5, perhaps and nothing to
do with ie4 compatibility. You could always put IE6 into replace mode
with msxml2 v3.0 sp2. I guess there is no reason for a replace mode for
v4 until msxml v4 goes gold and you want to do schema validation in the
browser although I can't see a lot of people wanting to do that. The
less errors you show to the average user the better.

> Despite the fact that XML was conceived as "SGML for the web"
> we are told that using a web browser to read XML files is
> "just wrong".

Or a longer quote from the same guy
"IE just display content and data, the fact that IE was build in to
parse XML is a side effect. One should always parser the data before
pushing to IE to display."

What planet is this idiot living on? I hope the f***wit doesn't work for
microsoft!

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml