Re: importing from txt file

> john wa wrote:
> > in my xsl i need to reference an external document which is a text file.
> >
> > i try to do something like <xsl:copy-of select="document('eg.txt')/" />
> > but obviously, because eg.txt isn't an xml file it won't work. is there
> > another way to import a file but treat the whole file as CDATA?
>
> You can use xml's external entities, e.g. place at the prolog of your
> stylesheet entity declaration:
>
> <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
> 	<!ENTITY text SYSTEM "file://c:\text.txt">
> ]>
>
> and then in a template you can output it this way:
>
> <xsl:text>&text;</xsl:text>
>
> But be warned: non-validating xml parser may not resolve external
> entities at all, in fact ie5 does resolving but mozilla doesn't.
>
> --
> Oleg Tkachenko

this is nearly what i wanted but then i have the problem that i don't know
what the file is until half way through the processing.

my situation is that i have an xml file which has a reference to another
file which is plain text. when i output pages (to html) i need this text file to
be included.

so i have xml similar to

<file name="wibble.zip" txt="wibble.info"/>
<file name="wobble.zip" txt="wobble.info"/>

if every file had the same description, in my xsl i would just create a
CDATA section...

<![CDATA[
A bit of text where output is escaped
]]>

but because the txt is different for each file i would like

<xsl:copy-of select="document(@txt)" />

but somehow say that this document is all CDATA, and that there's no tags.

i'm using the gnome xsl library from perl so i can't do any funky java with
it :(

i hope this makes the problem clearer :)