How to transform XML to EDI format?

Hi,
I am trying to convert XML document to EDI format in my new project and
I have some questions;

End of line character: When I try to convert a small portion of XML to
EDI format and open it in notepad, everything is in one line there is no
line break. How Can I put line breaks-end of line characters in XSL.
Here is a portion of a code from XML and my xsl file and the output I
get when I open it in notepad. (I save my output in "test.edi" format
and open it in notepead and I get one line of output, on the other hand
if I open the same output in MS Word I get the end of line character
working.
I've tried xalan and saxon and got the same results..
How would I get my output to have the end of line when I open it with
notepad.

Thanks...

xsl file:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="text" encoding="us-ascii" />
	<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:text>START-CRSE-RECORD</xsl:text><xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>
	   <xsl:text>CRSE-CD=LOCAL-CRSE-CD=</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="/course/@courseNum"/><xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

------------
xml file
------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<course courseNum="EDITEST">
  <module test-type="T">
	 <title>
		<para>Test-out</para>
	 </title>
	 <intro>
		<para>This is the test-out module.</para>
	 </intro>
  </module>
</course>

---------
output
---------
START-CRSE-RECORD CRSE-CD=LOCAL-CRSE-CD=EDITEST