BUG - xalan-j D7 - document()

When returning a text/xml stream with a servlet to the document function
there is an error saying that the document must be well-formed. In testing
the servlet to see what it is returning I see the follwoing:
1. In IE5+ (mac and win) - servlet returns a text/xml file that is displayed
with IE's default XSL (tree)
2. In Nav4.7 (Linux) - servlet returns a text/xml that and the browser asks
if you want to save the text/xml file.  When you look at the saved file it
is a simple xml document, for example:
<article>
    <title>boo</title>
    <para>boo boo boo</para>
</article>
---------------------------------------
When I use the servlet's output in a client-side transformation with IE
(calling the servlet with an MS XML data island), it works as expected.
---------------------------------------
Here is the XSL I am using for xalan-j:
<xsl:variable
   name="content-holder"
   select="concat('http://', $http-server, $context,
'/ReturnPage?pageid=',$page-id)"/>

<xsl:apply-templates
   select="document($content-holder)/article"/>
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to work around this? If someone
would like to test the servlet's result in their own setup I can open it up
and give you a url that will return a docbook xml document.

Thanks,
Rob