Re: DOCTYPE/DTD

Michael Beddow wrote

> > Can I "turn Xalan off" so that it does not try to
> > connect to the DTD (DOCTYPE) when it is parsing the
> > input XML document?
>
> No. Not unless you massage the xml first to comment out or remove the
> DOCTYPE declaration. To amplify a remark Jeni made in a reply to your
> earlier postings, Xalan (or rather its parser, Xerces) will NOT by
> default try to validate the file against the declared DTD, though you
> can ask it to do so via a command line switch if you like. But it will
> (as part of its conformance) attempt to access the DTD in order to
> resolve any entity definitions it may contain. I'm not sure whether
> Xerces has a switch that would (non-conformingly) supress this
> behaviour

Actually it is perfectly okay (i.e. conformant) for a non-validating parser
to disregard external entities, including the external DTD subset.  Evidence
the xml 1.0 recommendation, 5.1 [1] reads: "Non-validating processors are
required to check only the document entity, including the entire internal
DTD subset, for well-formedness."

But it is usually much more friendly for even a non-validating processor to
read all entities.

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology