Re: compiled stylesheets was Re: Re: RE: creating a string of repeated charactors

> The days of optimizing from build start to end are nearly over ( gasp should
> i be saying this.....) in a world where things are still slow with 1 gig
> chip and 500 meg RAM, i am convinced that hardware advances ( and network )
> will far outstrip code optimisation, and us programmers shall get lazier and
> lazier.. due to sheer ability to be lazy ( or not enough time to be super
> efficient ), not to mention that overall lifetime of any particular software
> is quite short lived ( at least the crap i write ).

I would never justify inability to think with progress in hardware.

Algorithms that require twice as much memory, or that copy (slightly transformed)
trees several times in memory are examples of this in XSLT.

Producing (or at least striving to find) algorithms that require several times less
resources vs ignoring resourse limitations -- this will at any time make practical
the solution of a considerably larger class of problems.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.