RE: Retrieving XML document's name

> If this was the XSLT designer's thinking on this, surely it's
> mistaken.
> Even if it's *not* a file, you have to have given a URI to
> the resource,
> so you should be able to retrieve that.

I'm guessing, but I suspect the reason there is no built-in XPath function
to retrieve the base URI of a node is that at the time the spec came out,
there was still a great deal of debate going on within W3C about the precise
definition of base URI within the InfoSet, so the XSLT/XPath authors decided
it was best to steer clear of the rocks.

Mike Kay
Software AG