RE: invalid character (Unicode: 0xa0) in xsl document

> > javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: An
> invalid XML
> > character (Unicode: 0xa0) was found in the element content of the
> > document.
>
> Well, your document says it's UTF-8. I'm not an expert on Unicode
> and related issues, but i think 0xa0, while it is Unicode, is
> not a possible
> UTF-8 character.

Are we sure this is what it means? It doesn't say that an invalid byte was
found, it says an invalid character was found. 0xa0 is a valid Unicode
character and a valid XML character, even though it has to be encoded by
some two-byte sequence in UTF-8.

Perhaps the message is talking about validity against the DTD, and saying
that the DTD requires element content (as distinct from mixed content). The
elements can then only be separated by whitespace characters, and 0xa0 is
not classified in XML as a whitespace character.

I'm only speculating, it's not my product!

Mike Kay
Software AG