Re: XML source with DOCTYPE declaration

Hi Jeni,

> That's right - it adds the attribute that is the XHTML namespace
> declaration to the document element (html).  Actually, given the other
> entities I guess that you'll find something like:
>
> <!ATTLIST %html.qname
>    %XHTML.xmlns.attrib;>

Once more you are right. :)  I found the following statement:

<!ATTLIST %html.qname;
      %XHTML.xmlns.attrib;
      %XHTML.version.attrib;
      %I18n.attrib; >

But then I do not understand why it is necessary to add the namespace to
every (X)HTML element/tag as it is being done?

> but I'm just guessing here - the DTD for XHTML I have doesn't seem to
> be as complex as the one you do.

To be precise I am using the DTD from XHTML Basic 1.0. It's DOCTYPE
declaration looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd";>

> > So does this mean there is no way to use one stylesheet for both
> > kind of XHTML files - with and without a DOCTYPE statement including
> > the XHTML DTD ???
>
> Sort of.  If you have an XHTML document that *doesn't* have the
> DOCTYPE statement, then you need to explicitly give the namespace for
> the XHTML rather than letting it be brought in from the DTD.  So it
> should look like:

Well, that would be an solution if I would have the possible to change
the content of the source XML files, which I do not have.   :(

> You could do that or:
>
> <xsl:template match="/html | /html:html">
>    <xsl:text>html element found !!!</xsl:text>
> </xsl:template>
>
> Or even:
>
> <xsl:template match="/*[local-name() = 'html']">
>    <xsl:text>html element found !!!</xsl:text>
> </xsl:template>

Hmmmm... that might be a solution, but it also would make the
stylesheet(s) kind of 'unreadable' and debugging/maintenance activies
much more difficult !!  :(

> But it's better to use the XHTML namespace for the elements that are
> part of XHTML, and it's obviously easier to write a stylesheet that
> uses that namespace that one that covers both.  If you have both kinds
> of documents, then you could do some preprocessing to move the
> elements into that namespace.  If you have a stylesheet that just
> looks has the following templates in it:
>
> <xsl:template match="*">
>    <xsl:element name="{local-name()}"
>                 namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
>       <xsl:copy-of select="@*" />
>       <xsl:apply-templates />
>    </xsl:element>
> </xsl:template>

After some testing this seems to be the best solution so far!!  :)

> > Ok, I think I understand. Another unwanted thing I noticed with the
> > <xsl:copy-of> was that all XML comments from the DTD are being
> > printed.
>
> >From the DTD?!?  That sounds very strange.  Could you give a sample
> that shows that happening?  Which processor are you using?

Well, when I place a <xsl:cop-of/> at the template matching the root
element ("/"), I receive the following output:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basi
c10.dtd">
-->
<!-- XHTML Basic 1.0 DTD
...................................................... -->
<!-- file: xhtml-basic10.dtd -->
<!-- XHTML Basic 1.0 DTD

     This is XHTML Basic, a proper subset of XHTML.

     The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (XHTML)
     Copyright 1998-2000 World Wide Web Consortium
        (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Institut National de
         Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, Keio University).
         All Rights Reserved.

............  A LOT OF MORE COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CUT HERE ...............

<!-- end of html.element -->
<!-- version attribute value defined in driver
-->
<!-- see the Qualified Names module for information
     on how to extend XHTML using XML namespaces
-->
<!--
                moved from the ATTLIST down there.
      %XHTML.xmlns.attrib;
-->
<!-- end of html.attlist -->
<!-- end of xhtml-struct-1.mod -->
<!-- end of XHTML Basic 1.0 DTD

I'm using Xalan J 2.0.0 as XSLT processor.
Any hints how to deactive this??

One further question concerning my problem:
Is there a possibilty to check in the XSLT stylesheet which or how many
namespaces are declare/used in the XML file which is being transformed?

Regards,
Zeljko