how can I compare two xml files ?

Dear XSLT-Experts !

I want to compare two XML-files in order to test if they have
the same content. Is it possible to use XSLT in order to solve this
(I am not an XSLT-Expert) problem ? What I have in mind is to transform
both XML-files by using an XSL-sheet. Then after processing I want to
compare
both transformed files byte for byte.
So the transformation would have to rearrange the attributes in a unique
manner.
The structure of the xml-files I want to compare is very complex.
Does that imply that the XSL-file will also be very complex , or is it
possible to use a kind of standard-transformation without any details
about the xml-files themselves ?

Thank you for your efforts

Best regards

André Mengel