Re: Changing encoding using a parameter

Matt,

there is no direct way to do this in XSLT 1.0.

Possible solutions are:
a) in XSLT 1.1 the attributes of the xsl:output element are attribute value
templates and therefore you could write:

   <xsl:output encoding="{$encoding}"/>
   <xsl:param name="encoding" select="'UTF-8'"/>

and pass the real encoding to the stylesheet as a parameter.

b) you could use SUN's TrAX API which lets you override the output settings
at runtime
c) you could use a processor with a suitable extension

Solution a) requires a XSLT 1.1 processor (like my jd.xslt ;-)
b) requires a TrAX capable processor (like Saxon, Xalan, jd.xslt). But no
processor lets you set it directly from the commandline so you have to
invoke the transformation from a java program.
c) (don't know any processors capable of that)

Johannes