Result tree

Hi,

Is it possible to query the result tree as it is being created? I ask as I
am trying to prevent duplicates in my output and have currently solved the
problem by storing my output tree in a node-set variable and then querying
this to produce the final output.
Due to the size of the source and output documents involved, this is proving
far to system intensive.

Are there any other ways to acheive the same result?

Thanks

Chris.