multilingual web site

Hi,

I'm a software engineer and am looking
for ways to make the internationalization of our web site
more managable. Currently we maintain seperate html
documents for each lanaguage. Since the layout of the documents
is very similar (just the displayed text
differs in language) I figured there must be a mechanism
for maintaining a single html document and generating the
translated html documents from this single document. I'm
thinking of using xml & xslt as a possible solution. Has
anyone used similar solutions ?
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on this issue
or if someone could point me to other resources.
Something with examples would be great.

I'm envisioning a solution such as:

an xml file with the following:
<pagetitle>MY PAGE TITLE IN ENGLISH<pagetitle>

which would be translated into:
<pagetitle>MY PAGE TITLE IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE<pagetitle>

and an XSL (or XSLT) file which would take this XML file and translate
it into and HTML page.

We have hundreds of HTML pages and it would be awsome if there
was a tool out there that could make something like this easier for us.

Thanks in advance :-)
-Sher