Re: question about select

"child::*[@field_name!='id' and @field_name!='smallName']">

> That the result excludes not only those elements with an attribute
> called "field_name" which is equal to "id" or "smallName", but also
> those elements which do not have an attribute "field_name" at all. Is
> this the same in all parsers?

Yes. @field_name identifies a node-set containing all the attributes named
field_name. Obviously there will be either 0 or 1 node in the set, since
it's in a predicate (each element in the child::* set is being tested
individually). If testing an empty node-set for inequality to a non-empty
string, you're always going to get true.