must be a trivial problem

as I can't find any information on what's going wrong here, seems I'm the only one
who can't figure it out.

With xalan-j_2_0_D01 every time I try to transform an XML with a DOCTYPE declaration
of any kind from the command line I get an error pretty much like this:

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -174
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:878)
        at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImp
l.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImp
l.java:642)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process.main(Process.java, Compiled Code)
XSLT Error (org.apache.trax.TransformException): String index out of range: -174

 (org.xml.sax.SAXException): String index out of range: -174
 (java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException): String index out of range: -174

D:\>java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build JDK-1.2.2-W, native threads, symcjit)

No problem at all arise if I just strip off the DOCTYPE line from the input XML and
I'm sure there is no encoding issue neither in the XML nor in the XSL as they are
both UTF-8

Any help greatly appreciated, thank you

stefano debenedetti