A really easy (hopefully) question

Hi:

I have a question that I've been wanting to ask for a while and thought
today would be a pretty good day (for me anyways) to ask.

How come the current() function is part of the XSLT spec ant not XPath? It
seems from what I've seen of it/how its been used, it would be more
appropriate to be in XPath instead of being only available as XSLT.  For
example, in the case XPath only implementations how would a user do a
comparison of two separate branches without resorting to some sort of
extension function (which XPath doesn't deal with).

Just curious.

Thanks

Chris