Re: xsl:script

Shimon,

Actually, it's "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl" that's earlier -- it was the
namespace claimed by the December 1998 Working Draft of XSL (hence the
"WD"). "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" was claimed by the final
Recommendation version of XSLT 1.0, which was formally accepted by W3C in
November 1999.

The older namespace, like other namespaces declared by other working
drafts, would be long forgotten if not for an implementation that was
released in early 1999 by Microsoft in the MSXML processor. What makes
matters worse for those concerned with compatibility, is that this
implementation was itself (a) not complete to the draft even at that date,
and (b) nevertheless contained proprietary ("experimental") extensions to
the erstwhile "XSL", which were (are?) undocumented as such. The MSXML
parser is still out there, even being described in several books in print,
most of which take it at face value and are unaware of the conformance
issues and the confusion generated. To be fair, the MSXML parser was
labelled as an experimental pre-release ... but the hype machine seems to
downplay that, to the extent it even understands that the package is
obsolete as delivered.

Microsoft's current release, MSXML3 -- which is not bundled with the
browser, being obtainable only by download -- supports both the current
Recommendation and the earlier WD.

Way too much ink has been spilled trying to straighten out this issue. This
is why tempers seem often to be shorter than is warranted by innocent
mistakes or understandable confusion on the part of a newbie. It's as if
the Pinball Club were constantly being invaded by shuffleboard players
wanting to know about the rules of shuffleboard, because a large toy
company was selling a shuffleboard set labelled "pinball". They may be call
it pinball, but it's really shuffleboard. (They may call it "XSL", but it's
not.) Unlike the Pinball Club, however, there's often money and development
time riding on this.

Regards,
Wendell