Re: orphans and widows/number-columns-spanned

On Friday, Dec 29, 2000, Tobi Kamke asked:

<fragen>
I have again two questions now concerning orphans / widows and
number-columns-spanned. I'm using FOP 0.15 and it prints a warning that the
orphans and widows trait of simple-page-master is ignored. Isn't this
feature implemented yet and if yes, does anybody know, when FOP can deal
with it? My other question is similar namely does FOP support the
number-columns-spanned trait of the <fo:table-cell> tag?
</fragen>

A little background: the latest release of FOP now supports all breaks in
page and column context. It is a very natural progression from there, for me
to do breaks in line context, and keeps in all 3 contexts. This is in fact
what I am working on at the moment.

Widows and orphans support ties in very naturally with the above - I think I
can assure you with a high degree of confidence that FOP CVS will have
support for this within 3 weeks, and you will also see it in FOP 0.17.

To the second question: a colleague of mine, Keiron Liddle (who is also
FOP's SVG guy), has been doing work on tables (also footnotes, actually). I
see from the latest STATUS file that colspan support is partly done. I can
check the latest source and find out what that means...

I would recommend that in general, checking the STATUS file, and the
features.html and limitations.html docs, is your best resource as to what
FOP does, or does not do, at any given time.

Also, if your decision process has led you to FOP, don't forget that the
fop-dev mailing list gives you exposure to all the FOP developers and
committers, and you will get better answers and faster results. If FOP
cannot do something then we will tell you, and probably steer you to better
alternatives for what you want to do (I have personally used PassiveTeX,
RenderX XEP, Unicorn FO and AntennaXSL. I obviously support FOP, but even
more I'm interested in seeing adoption of XSL-FO. The rest of the FOP
community feels the same way.) If your question deals with generic XSL FO,
however, then clearly this is the place to ask.

Hope this helps.

Regards, and Happy New Year (at least in Western lands)
Arved Sandstrom
Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)