Re: Dynamic creation of frames & the data within

Hi Linda,

> I am trying to create an page with 4 frames where one of the frames:
>   <FRAME marginwidth="20" marginheight="0" NORESIZE src=(??? - dynamic
data)>>

> The only way we've found to include dynamic data in SRC is:
>   <FRAME marginwidth="20" marginheight="0" NORESIZE src="javascript:
> '<HTML> . . . </HTML>'"
>
> Is there a better way to do this? Or another way to do this?

The way that I do this in the XSLTDoc application is to separate out
the transformations that create the frames into different XSLT
stylesheets; the separate transformations are scripted individually,
and called when the frameset is loaded, i.e.:

  <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function populateFrames() {
        // load the frames
      }
    </script>
  </head>
  <frameset rows="30%,*" onload="populateFrames()">
    <frameset cols="30%,*">
      <frame name="importFrame" />
      <frame name="summaryFrame" />
    </frameset>
    <frameset cols="60%,*">
      <frame name="sourceFrame" />
      <frame name="notesFrame" />
    </frameset>
  </frameset>

setting parameters and so on, all by hand.  You then have to write the
output from the XSLT Processor into the frame using something like:

  frame.document.write(XSLTProcessor.output);

I'm not sure that this is the best way of doing it, and it involves a
lot of scripting, but it is fairly flexible when it comes to changing
the content of the frames independently. I've been rejigging XSLTDoc a
bit since I put it on my site, but you can download it from
http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/utilities/XSLTDoc.zip, or let me know
if you'd like to see the most recent version.

I hope that gives you some ideas,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison