Re: Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash

Mike Brown wrote:

> Typrowicz, Jim wrote:
> > I have an emdash character (a long dash) that I would like to
> > display on my HTML page, which is generated with Cocoon/XSL.  The
> > character displays fine in IE but not Netscape.
> >
> > I have something like:  ...test — test
> >
> > In IE it comes out "...test - test", as it should.  In Netscape it
> > comes out as "...test — test".
>
> Your XSLT processor is serializing the character as — which is
> legal in HTML but Netscape doesn't like it. This is a bug in Netscape.
> Versions prior to 6 don't recognize the entities corresponding to
> characters over 255. Netscape should accept — instead, but you
> have no way of forcing your XSLT processor to serialize em dash
> characters that way.

Right. But there is a really nasty little trick: Use –
(medium-lenght, best used for a dash) or — (really long, doesn't
look good as a dash). These two characters are officially non-printable,
but in most windows fonts (I don't know about other OS) they are
displayed as dashes. I regularly use – for a dash in my webpages.
As I said it's a dirty trick and might get you into trouble with certain
fonts and other operating systems than M$Windoze.

> Go to http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/demos/ent4_frame.html

That's a nice thing, I'll add it to my bookmarks!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker