Complex named template calling

I'm attempting to write a set of XSLs, one of which controls
look/appearance.

For example, there will be template that resembles the following:

<xsl:template name="TABLEDEF">
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="DATADEF">
    <b>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
    <b>
</xsl:template>

Now, I want these templates to be called from various places over xml with
wide differences.

<xsl:for-each select="AUTHOR">
  <xsl:call-template name="TABLEDEF">
     <TR>
      <TD>NAME</TD>
      <TD>
         <xsl:for-each select="BOOK">
            <xsl:call-template name="DATADEF"/>
         </xsl:for-each>
       </TD>
     </TR>
   </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:for-each>

I know this is non-functional as call-templates cannot handle subelements
besides params.  Is there a way to simulate this functionality somehow?

Thanks