multiple output and grouping

I'm trying to generate a set of HTML pages from a single XML
document. Basically, my problem has to do with sorting and
grouping. The XML source looks like this:

<author>
  <name>...</name>
  <records>
    <record>...</record>
  </records>
</author>

That is, I have a list of authors and a list of records associated
with each author. What I want to do is sorting the list by author
and grouping the authors (with their records) alphabetically in
different HTML files, like this:

--- output file: A.html ---

    <h1>A</h1>
    <h2>[name of an author beginning with the letter A]</h2>
    [list of records]
    <h2>[name of the next author beginning with the letter A]</h2>
    [list of records]

--- output file: B.html ---

    <h1>B</h1>
    <h2>[name of an author beginning with the letter B]</h2>
    [list of records]

And so on...

I already know how to generate multiple output documents (I'm
using Saxon, so I can use saxon:output), but I'm stuck with
the grouping problem. I wrote many different stylesheets to
accomplish the task but none of them worked. Can you give me
any hints?

Best regards,
Luca