RE: exclude-result-prefixes

> I thought the REC was fairly clear about
> exclude-result-prefixes (7.1.1), but I have obviously misunderstood it.
>
> Both xt & msxml generate a xmlns:text attribute in the
> following stylesheet.

The requirement to produce well-formed XML output in which all namespace
prefixes are declared overrides your exclude-result-prefixes request.

More technically, exclude-result-prefixes prevents the element in the result
tree having a namespace node for this prefix, but the XML serialization is
required to output namespace declarations not only for namespace nodes on
the result tree, but also for any other namespace URIs in use. (In fact,
it's allowed to add any other namespace declarations it fancies, but while
XSLT implementors by definition have twisted minds, they are not usually
gratuitously malicious.)

Mike Kay