RE: parsing and translating xml:lang attribute

> The second issue is that the values for this attribute are
> conforming to
> the two-digit language abbreviations according to ISO 639,
> but my target
> DTD uses three-digit language strings according to ISO 639-2
> (e. g. 'de'
> would be translated into 'ger'). I do have a list of both,
> but I wonder how
> to technically best achieve the mapping using XSL.

Can't help you with your first problem, but for the second, try using a
look-up table in a separate document languages.xml:

<languages>
<language a2="de" a3="ger"/>
etc
</languages>

Then write
<xsl:key name="langkey" match="language" use="@a2">

and

<xsl:for-each select="document('language.xml')">
<xsl:value-of select="key('langkey', $two-letter-code)/@a3"/>
</xsl:for-each>

to get the three letter code.

Mike Kay