RE: Output is incorrect...

> add
> <xsl:template match="cat"/>
>
> to your stylesheet to kill off all the cats by default and just let
> through the one with the more specific
>
> <xsl:template match="cat[@id=$id]">

Your explanation makes sense to me, but it does not work.  However, the same
logic applied to the "art" elements does work:  the default is to ignore
"art" elements, and they only get selected from within my more complex <cat
... match="cat[@id=$id]"> template.  So I have added the empty rule
<xsl:template match="art"/>
to my stylesheet, and it appears that all is well...

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me...

Pete