RE: Data in Stylesheets [was: Comments affect Performance?]

It means, with Saxon, that it's no more efficient than storing the data in a
separate file. Unless of course there is some OS or web server or browser
caching that makes it more efficient to read the same file twice than to
read two separate files.

XSLT processors that are DOM-based, like MSXML3, probably use a different
strategy (I'm guessing here) in which the whitespace and comments are not
actually removed from the tree but simply masked from the XSLT processor.
With these processors, the overhead of building two separate trees is
presumably avoided.

Mike Kay