RE: auto-numbering

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:49:07 EDT Dhruv Raheja wrote:

>  I am in the process of developing tech manuals in XML

[...]

You may not get much help here right now, because you're stating a very general markup problem and a highly specific rendering problem at the same time, and other folk can't fill in the big gap between those two things for you.

You ask whether XML can do the auto numbering. Sebastian Rahtz reminds you that XML itself can't "do" anything at all and points you towards XML *processors*. But I suppose you asked here because XSLT specifies such processors and yes, once you've done more groundwork on your problem, people here will be able to help you do your auto-numbering in the way you have in mind.

As for guidance with your DTD, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I suspect that if you studied existing DTDs (like Docbook, TEI, etc),
> you'd find very clear answers to nearly all your markup problems like this

Nobody ever found "very clear answers" or even very clear statements in anything emanating from the TEI. It's a priesthood thing. The Docbook stuff is different. It's tough going where it has to be, but overall is plainly meant to help newcomers find their way rather than to keep them feeling stupid and ignorant. If you haven't looked long and hard at Docbook, you're in danger of large-scale wheel-reinvention.

Michael Beddow

]"ˊb֫rzm	+^r(llXt.+-wjwZbm&Vޮy\o_Yb