Re: automatic numbering

Dhruv Raheja writes:
 > <figure file="E_7564.gif">
 >   Figure 1
 > </figure>
 >
 > The problem I am having is that this process/model is not very intelligent.
 > For example half way through the authoring process, if someone wished to
 > insert a <figure> element, she would have to change the figure numbers in
 > all subsequent elements. e.g.

most DTDs would allow something like

<figure file="E_7564.gif">
 <caption>This is the caption</caption><!-- optional -->
</figure>

and insist that the next processing stage work out the number, and add
the word "Figure".

 > you were to insert a figure, it will re-number the other figures on its own.
 > Is there any way I can do that in XML?

entirely up to the application that processes the XML

 > (i) As I mentioned, I am displaying the image in another browser window.
 > Basically I have the following attribute associated with the ahref command:
 > "target="_new". Is it possible to display a caption (that is not part of the
 > image file) along with that image in the new browser window?

as above. you can process the XML to do whatever you want.

 > I know that this message is a bit too long but I wanted to describe my
 > problem in detail in the hope that somebody will be able to help.

I suspect that if you studied existing DTDs (like Docbook, TEI, etc),
you'd find very clear answers to nearly all your markup problems like this.

Sebastian