RE: testing node type

> > How about :
> >
> > <xsl:when test="following-sibling::node()[1] =
> > following-sibling::comment()[1]">
>
> That's wrong for two reasons. Firstly it will give "true" if
> the node has no following siblings at all.

Own goal - sorry! If the node has no following siblings, both node-sets will
be empty, and comparing two empty node-sets using "=" gives "false"
(naturally).

> Secondly it will give "true" if the string-value
> of the next node is the same as the string-value of the next comment

This part of the response was correct. (I hope!)

There's another point, however, which is that even though the test will give
the right answer in almost all circumstances, getting the string-value of a
node can be an expensive operation if it happens to be an element with lots
of descendants.

To compare nodes for identity, so long as you know that both $x and $y
contain exactly one node, use generate-id($x)=generate-id($y), or
count($x|$y)=1. But in this case the original solution
"following-sibling::node()[1][self::comment()]" is better.

Mike Kay