Special characters in XSL processing pipeline

Hi there, I have a processing pipeline set up which scrapes a XHTML file
into XML. This is currently in two stages, the first extracts the
information, and the second re-organises it to fit the DTD. I am having a
problem with German characters in certain files, using MSXML3 I get a 'An
invalid character was found in text content' error for the ü in Düsseldorf.
I was under the impression I would be OK with these as they're in UTF-8. I
have tried using the HTML tidy utility from the w3c to turn these into
character references so I have ü instead of ü, and run this on the
output of each step in the pipeline before passing it on. This unfortunately
brings up another problem, due to  whitespace in the tidied output.

Am I doing something wrong or should it work without having to change the
character references?

Chris