Re: [XSLT/newbie]value-of attributes of the root node

Hey newbie (Nic),

Thanks for the well-written subject line.

The trick is that an XPath expression in a select attribute such as
>  <name><xsl:value-of select="@name" />

is evaluated with respect to a given context, which includes a "context
node." In this case, the node is the root node, since that's what your
template matches on. You may already know that the root node, in XSL, is
_not_ the document element node, but rather a node in its own right, of
which the document element (here, <description>), is a child.

So in this case,
  <name><xsl:value-of select="description/@name" />

would work, since the XPath expression 'description/@name' navigates down
from the root node to get the attribute whose value you want.

If the template had matched 'description' instead of '/', you'd be in
business with the expression as currently written, since in that case, the
context node for evaluation would be the <description> element, not the root.

Hope that helps,
Wendell