RE: [XSLT/newbie]value-of attributes of the root node

Nic,
That is because the root node is not <description it is above <description.
<description is the top level node.
/   root node
<?xml...?>   the xml declaration
<!-- -->     possible comments etc
<description...  the top level node

Change you stylesheet to

<xsl:template match="/">   this isn't needed
  <xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="description">
 <outputroot>
  <name><xsl:value-of select="@name" />
  </name>
 <xsl:apply-templates />
 </outputroot>
</xsl:template>

And to quote from the book that is arriving tomorrow page 20
Here <</>> is an XPath expression which identifies the <bold>root
node</bold> of the document... The DOM model calls this the Document object,
but in XPath it is called the root.

Cioa Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml