Re: count of element occurrences

----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz

> Paul Tchistopolskii writes:
>
>  > I don't know about elegancy, but I can suggest
>  > a simple solution based on your test6 ;-)
>  >
>  > Consider pipe of 3 transformations:
>  >
>  > Transformation 1. ( Produce flat list of elements ).
>  > Transformation 2. sort
>  > Transformation 3. Is 'flat-hierarchy' grouping which
>  > I wrote for your test6.
>
> This requires the "node-set" extension, of course?

Ahh ... even worse ;-) In ideal world it also
requires saxon:evaluate.

The good thing about this pattern is that
in Ux-alike environment all you need to write
is only Transformation 1 ( trivial ).

Transformation 2 and Transformation 3
are universal transformations, like grep, diff, sed
e t.c. we have in UNIX.

But to have T2 and T3 universal, saxon:evaluate
should be used.

> I got very bogged down in a solution like this but using keys as
> well. I need to have a cup of tea and stare at it again

The advantage is that if using pipes
you have no need in writing more than Transfromation 1.

The disadvantage is that this is not XSLT mainstream
( emulating a | b with RTF -> node-set is a bit boring
and not that readable. On another hand it is possible
to use the pipe pattern blindly, without any mental effort. ;-)

Rgds.Paul.