RE: for-each--stuck on very basic issue

> You may be hitting a problem which a number of users have
> reported, and
> which seems to have got worse in the latest Saxon release,
> which is caused
> by an unidentified bug in the Microsoft Java VM. Try
> upgrading the VM using Tools / Windows Update in IE5.

And apologies for the amount of correspondence this has generated!

To expand a little on the situation, there were a number or reports with
earlier Saxon releases of empty output files, this always seemed to be fixed
by upgrading the Microsoft Java VM (or switching the the Sun JVM). With
5.4.1, there have also been reports of chunks of the output going missing. I
have recently managed to find a machine on which this problem occurs; I
haven't identified what causes it, but I have made apparently insignificant
code changes that cause it to go away, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we
may see the back of it in the next version of Saxon.

Mike Kay