RE: Problem with ignoring system ID of Doctype

At 10:09 14/09/00 -0500, you wrote:
>And all this is currently mostly moot with respect to XML, since the
>XML spec did not define a catalog (unfortunately, in my opinion).  And
>since the system id is required, almost all XML processors I know of
>use it and general ignore the public id.

That's what I have seen till now. And this is a major pain that many tools
(usually not parsers, mostly editors) don't know well about back relative
entity inclusion, like "../mydir/myent.ent"  (Adept, Stylus being two of
them). This means I cannot use the same dtd with Adept (used as a PDF
producer) and Omnimark, XSLT (that can use the same, yeah !).

>However, Java classes that implement catalogs for XML have been put
>into the public domain, and I'm hopeful that more and more XML
>processors out there will use them (or the equivalent) to add catalog
>support for XML.  Norm's article [2] for both a good description of
>the issues and for a pointer to some Java classes that implement both
>the TR9401:1997 catalogs and XML Catalogs [3].

I do agree this is useful, but the catalog is not standard yet, and my
point here is to unify the DTDs among the tools I use.

>paul

Thank you for your help.

Paul, also (what about a XML Paul club :-)

--
Paul Terray - terray@4dconcept.fr
tel : 01 34 58 70 76