recursive template for building multicolumn tables

Hello,

I wanted to develop a template set that I could use to build a multi-column
table (where the number of columns is specifiable) from a node set. I
understand (mostly) the design pattern for recursively processing each node
but I'm having trouble extending it to process "groups" of nodes so that if
I want three columns, the template will slurp 3 nodes at a time and call
itself with the node set minus 3.

I hope that's clear enough. Could someone give me a shove in the right
direction?

Thanks,

Tom