Retreival / Adding to xml file

Hi,

I've got an XML file which am using as a database and I am able to add a field to it by using jsp and the sun's jaxp parser. But while adding I need to find out the last id so that I can increment it while adding a new record. How do I retreive the id and do this?

the xml structure is like this

<books>
<bm>
<id>b001</id>
<title>XML</title>
<description>A beginners tutorial</description>
<urls>http://www.xml.com</urls>
<category>General</category>
</bm>
<bm>
<id>b002</id>
<title>Complete Reference JAVA</title>
<description>For the basics in Java</description>
<urls>http://www.sun.java.com</urls>
<category>personal</category>
</bm>
</books>