Re: More problems and questions

At 06:05 9-09-2000 +0000, Anilia Bruho wrote:
>1. Given that there exist FO renderer(s) written in Java, such as
>FOP, and given that some XSLT processors, such as Saxon, allow
>calling extension functions written in Java, is it possible to
>access FO renderer from within XSLT through this mechanism, with the
>goal of being able to ask the renderer some questions and give it
>some tests and then modify the transformation algorithm based on the
>results returned? An important point here is that the renderer being
>accessed from within XSLT is the same as the one that will produce
>the final output, therefore the results of calling the FO renderer
>functions are guaranteed to be true to the final result. More
>specifically,
>
>- is this method workable in principle?

Yes.

>- if yes, is it possible to implement it right now, with current
>versions of specs and software?

Probably (though IANA Real Programmer), but I suspect it would be a *major*
PITA.

>3. In my custom TeX macro packages (they're intended for typesetting
>mostly text with little code or math), I use \catcodes to enable
>"smart" character macros. For instance, a hyphen in the input
>expands into ~---, simple " quotes expand into alternating open and
>closing typographic quotes, _something_ expands into {\it
>something}. This saves a lot of typing, makes source text more
>readable and editable, and moves the presentation aspect where it
>belongs, i.e. in the stylesheet. Naturally, I would like to keep
>using these simple abbreviations in XML/XSL too. As there are no
>"character macros" in XSL, obviously what I need is some kind of an
>input filter that will replace all hyphens in the text (not element
>names or attributes) by  &emdash;, _something_ by
><em>something</em> etc. Indeed, Saxon documentation says I can write
>such a filter in Java. The problem, as with the previous question,
>is that I'm not a Java programmer. What I probably would be able to
>do is to take someone else's example of a simple search-and-replace
>filter and adopt it to my needs. Therefore the question: Where can I
>find such a working example, for Saxon or any other processor? Is
>there perhaps an easier method to achieve this than coding in Java?

Maybe you want to use SGML instead of XML.  SGML includes a large number of
optional features, many of which exist explicitly to make keyboard entry
easier.  You can do what you talk about here with SHORTREFs, though they're
not a whole lot of fun or widely supported.  XML explicitly leaves these
features out for a good reason.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Senior XML Analyst, Lexica LLC
222 Kearny St., Ste. 202, San Francisco, CA 94108-4510